Tips and TricksImport list of emails into Yahoo

Import list of emails into Yahoo

Today someone asked me how to import a huge list of email addresses into their yahoo contacts

1. List of email addresses was in a MS Excel Sheet
2. They needed to import all these emails into a custom “list” or a “group”

I searched and came across this – hope it helps someone ( link is from Yahoo itself )

https://ca.help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN5840.html?impressions=true ( see the To prepare a new .csv file: section – the columns might have changed )

We can import addresses if we can create a CSV ( comma separated ) file and match the column names to Yahoos address format given above

Its basically these fields

Home City Ottawa
Home Province Ontario
Home Postal Code K1A 0A3
Home Country Canada
Birthday 1/11/1934
Anniversary 6/23/1990
Custom 1 Aline Chaîné field will be called “spouse”
Custom 2 France,Hubert and Michel field will be called “kids”
Custom 3 Elmo field will be called “pets”
Custom 4 Poutine field will be called “favourite food”
Comments Ask for ride in his plane.

So create an MS Excel Sheet with the fields you require – for example lets say you have 2 contacts and want to import them
Then your excel sheet would look like this ( i am including few fields )

First Last Email
John Doe  john-doe@gmail.com
Jane Doe  jane-doe@yahoo.com

The first row in the sheet must actually contain the field names (like First Last Email and others from the table if you want)
From the second row on-wards you can fill in the data

Steps:

1. Prepare the MS Excel Sheet with the correct field names and data
  2. Save the Excel as a CSV
  3. In Office 2010 you can do File ->Save As -> CSV (MS DOS)
  4. Log into Yahoo
  5. Navigate Contacts -> Import Contacts -> Others
  6. On the next screen you will see a series of checkboxes
  7. Only select A desktop email program (Outlook, AppleMail, etc…)
  8. A file upload option will appear – upload the CSV file you just created
  9. Agree to the terms and and click Continue
  10. Yahoo will parse your CSV file and show you all the contacts that it will import
  11. You can click import and all the addresses will be imported to a “list” called “Desktop”
  12. In between Yahoo will show you any errors and will ask you to notify all the imported contacts of your address – skip that
  13. Once the import has happened, go back to your “Contacts” page and you will see a “Desktop” just above your “Lists”
  14. Click on that and all your imported contacts are there
  15. Assign them to whatever list you need and enjoy !!

Categories: Tips and Tricks

Comments

1. Fred

September 5, 2015 6:17 pm

I am having the same problem - i.e. json. I am using IE and have turned on enhanced security on my account. Are either of these actions possible cause? Could it be AV software / Browser add-ins?
    1. September 5, 2015 6:53 pm

can you try with a different browser if tht does not work, try switching off all browser extensions and try
      1. Fred

September 5, 2015 7:14 pm

I have noticed that if I answer CANCEL to the Json Open or Save prompt that the contacts seem to import. So the enhanced security is probably not a factor. I was trying to use Notepad to edit the file and switched to Excel only for editing. Not sure if Excel does anything special that Notepad doesn't (or vice versa) - e.g. inserting or removing a trailing CR/LF or EOF. I am trying now to fine tune my two-line test file to try to get the correct Category / Lists when importing. It will be reassuring to figure out this problem once and for all since Import / Export is the only way to do bulk-edits. Editing using the GUI gets old after updating about two or three contacts. For now, I am making some headway. I am continuing to play with it and will report back if I find something definite.
      2. Fred

September 6, 2015 4:50 am

So all my tests seem to indicate that the import is very, very sensitive to the field names. The JSon open or save prompt is still coming up and appears to be hanging, but, 1. I choose to save it and 2. when I open another browser tab, the import is done (provided that the field names are correct) - I did an export to see what the fields were. I couldn't get the Category field to work on Import, but that was not a show stopper for me. The only List that resulted from my imports was a list named - Desktop. The JSON file that is saved contains the following: "{"contactImport":{"src":"csv","numContactsIdentified":0,"importStatus":"QUEUED","category":"Desktop"}}" Dunno if this helps anyone, but I got over my hump. Thanks for the moral support.
      3. Fred

September 6, 2015 5:17 am

The Email field appears to be a Key field. The Import does not tolerate duplicated entries for the Email field and there are no error messages that I could see.
      4. Fred

September 6, 2015 5:37 am

...and the field names are cAsE-sEnSiTiVe !! Good Bye for now.
  2. Josh

February 13, 2015 7:02 pm

thank you for this post! I have been trying this for weeks, and yahoo just keeps "importing contacts" and never finishes. Do you think the file is too large, or something else going on?
    1. February 13, 2015 8:01 pm

@Josh how large is your file ? according to this page, you can have a maximum of 5000 contacts https://help.yahoo.com/kb/import-sln15928.html also make sure your file formatting is proper
    2. Bob

February 13, 2015 10:15 pm

Any luck? I had EXACTLY the same issue - Yahoo "importing contacts" w/o end. Sent Naveen my simple 3-line test file and he was able to import it w/o problem. Thought it was definitely a problem on my end, but if you're seeing the same thing, then I'm not so sure. Sure hope you have better luck with a fix then I did.
  3. Robert Dawson

February 10, 2015 3:15 pm

Naveen - I cannot get the .csv contact import to work at all. No matter how simple the input file, the system hangs or displays the "There is a problem..." error message. I have verified and reverified that the format is correct. Appeals to Yahoo help have gone unanswered. Any suggestions?
    1. February 10, 2015 5:02 pm

@Robert Dawson - i just tried a simple file import and it was successful. Here is the sample file. Copy paste it into a file with csv extension and try to import it. First,Last,Email John,Doe,john-doe@gmail.com Jane,Doe,jane-doe@yahoo.com If this imports and your file does not, then there might be a problem with the file you created. Does it have spaces in the fields, Example is first name "John Junior" If there are spaces, you should make sure that all fields are enclosed in double quotes Let me know how it goes
      1. Robert Dawson

February 10, 2015 5:56 pm

Test file did NOT import - same results as before. Just on hunch, switched to IE browser (was using Firefox), and when attempting import get a system message about opening or saving "FileImportContact.json from us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com". Open fails because Windows doesn't know what program to use, and Save does nothing.
        1. February 10, 2015 6:29 pm

How are you importing the file ? I did this Log into yahoo mail Click contacts -> Click Import Contacts In the File Upload Section Click Import New -> then import Make sure that the extension is .csv and not .csv.txt If nothing works, post your sample file on http://pastebin.com/ and give me the link - i can try to upload
          1. Robert Dawson

February 10, 2015 8:35 pm

Test file submitted (http://pastebin.com/VX5abj7N)
    2. February 10, 2015 8:47 pm

I was able to import the file without issues. I dont know if its because your csv file is getting corrupted somehow. The only things i can recommend are 1. Try to first export some contacts from yahoo in CSV format - then use the file - add your contacts and import ( see link in post ) 2. Try a different browser 3. Try with only a few column headers at first ( First Name, last name and email )
      1. Robert Dawson

February 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Did all that you suggested - used Yahoo csv export file, different browser, few columns - but no luck, Obviously a problem on this end, but I'm stumped.
  4. kamboj

December 6, 2014 6:23 am

Thanks
  5. Myra

December 1, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm adding contacts one at a time. When I try to assign the contact to a list, I get an error message. Happens constantly!
    1. December 1, 2014 8:31 pm

what is the error message ?
  6. Mozammel Hossain

November 21, 2014 5:41 pm

I was able to import but on the left side when I click "Email contact" all e-mail address show -up in "To". How do I bring them in "bcc"?
    1. November 21, 2014 5:46 pm

quick way : on the right side you should see CC - click it then click BCC - copy paste all address from To to BCC
  7. artisan chandeliers

June 3, 2014 4:29 am

Hi. I tried this and my emails don't show up in my contacts... Only the first and last names. Any ideas? Thanks.
    1. June 3, 2014 8:56 pm

@artisan chandeliers, either your CSV format is wrong or yahoo has changed the fields in the import file since i wrote this post this is the latest link i found from yahoo https://ca.help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN5840.html?impressions=true follow the To prepare a new .csv file: section and it should work
  8. Jeanne

April 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Do you need a software program like Outlook to do this? I have a large database of businesses in a CVS file (excel) and I want to import them to my gmail or yahoo contacts without using the software if this is possible. Any suggestions? I use Go Daddy for my hosting of websites and personalized email addresses. Could I use them instead?Thanks!!!
    1. April 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Jeanne, You dont need outlook or any other software. if you have Excel or its open source equivalent, then you can import your contacts. The only thing to do is to format the contacts in the right way
  9. Doug

November 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Naveen, when I do this, I successfully get the e-mail addresses and mobile numbers...however the First and Last name does not come through. Any ideas??
    1. November 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Doug, I initially thought that yahoo has upgraded their CSV file column names - but they have not - i just tried a very simple import and it works fine. My sample file looked like this ( in a text editor - save this into a file called test.csv ) First,Last,Email,Mobile John,Doe,john-doe@gmail.com,999-999-9999 Try to import this and see if the names populate ( there might be something with the CSV file you are importing - that is all i can guess ) - if this does not work, then you can send me a sample of your file and i will try to check it out
      1. Doug

November 17, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks...after several attempts, I found that it had a simple formatting on the name headers. I removed that and it worked great.
  10. koza

May 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Is there any way to add these 3000 mails to the contact list easily?
    1. May 17, 2012 6:27 pm

yes there is - just log into to yahoo mail select all the received mails ( using the check-box on the top ) click on the settings icon ( a small gear like icon - found in both top and bottom bar ) select "Add Senders to Contacts" option or you can just select all emails and press "Ctrl + A"
  11. koza

May 17, 2012 6:20 pm

There are about 3000 received e-mails in my Yahoo inbox.How can I get a list of snders' e-mails adresses at once? Thanks..
  12. September 13, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi Jamal Try using the "Category " field in your CSV and assign it the one you want. If this does not work then you will need to do it the round about way Collect all your contacts that belong to the same "Category" and import them They will be available to you in your contacts as "Desktop" after import You can select all of them at once and assign the required category This becomes a pain if there are many categories to work with
  13. jamal

September 10, 2011 8:52 am

Thank you for the information. my problem is that when i import some contacts from CSV file to yahoo e-mail, then they are imported without their categories (lists)!!!!!!!!! why????? what i need is to import the contacts side by side with their categories (lists)!!!!!!!!!!!! what is the solution????? regards Jamal